I'm not usually one to take New Year's resolutions very seriously. I might say that I want to lose weight or stop procrastinating, but honestly, I never think much about it past January 1st. This year is different. With such an incredibly blessed year and lots to look forward to, I'm taking the opportunity to kind of re-evaluate myself and my life. It's not a mid-life crisis, but more like me trying to get my life organized before adding another human being to ours and the rest of the world.
With all that being said, my New Year's resolution is a simple one: to be a better person.
Okay, so maybe it's a simple sentence, but the details aren't that simple. It involves alot. I want to be a better wife, daughter, sister, niece, cousin, and friend. (I think those are all of my titles right now!) I've never been good at talking about myself and I always hate when they ask you in interviews what your strengths are, but I do think I have strengths in all of these roles. On the flip side, I have lots of weaknesses in these roles that need to be worked on. These improvements can be as simple as going to bed with a clean kitchen and making the bed each morning. Or it'll be more involved like picking up the phone more, writing more hand written notes and going to church more.
I say all of this because all of these roles that I've played up to this point in my life are preparing me for the most important role I'll ever play: mother. Most importantly, I want to be a good mother. I want to teach my daughter about family and tradition and show her how to enjoy the small things and celebrate the big things. I want to teach her all of the life lessons that my parents have taught me, like taking care of business and what one plans isn't always what God plans. Oh, and how to enjoy "the scenic route."
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what I'm doing and that scares me. I still can't tell when I have a fever, let alone when a baby has one and that makes me think I won't have that "motherly instinct." I know this is all natural to feel this way and deep down I know we'll be okay. I'm excited to figure this parenting thing out with Tray by my side and family to help us. Like I've heard a million times before, the second I hold Emma our world will change for the better and life will never be the same. That's exciting.
So it's January 2nd and how am I doing with my New Years's resolution? Pretty darn good if I do say so myself! Well, to be honest, the bed isn't made today, but the kitchen's clean. :) This past week I've been super productive and it feels awesome! My productiveness doesn't really directly tie into me being a better sister, friend or cousin, but just a better person in general. For one who loves to procrastinate and doesn't like to clean, having a relatively clean house and a to-do list with lots of cross throughs is making me feel like a better person already. So what have I accomplished? In no particular order: lots of laundry, purging closets and random areas of the house (ie-getting control of my minor hoarding tendencies), donating to Goodwill, cleaning, converting my scrapbook room into Emma's room, rearranging and organizing the spare bedroom, registering at Babies R Us for Emma, completely organizing our files and file cabinet (a major accomplishment all by itself!), and finally boxing up my wedding dress to be preserved (yeah, 3 1/2 years later). OH, and making cookies for family and our neighbors! (and Emma, she really likes those chocolate cookies!) :) I think I'm off to a running start with lots more to be accomplished along the way. Here's to 2011 and all that's waiting for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment