In honor of one of the happiest days of my life 5 years ago, I decided to write the 2nd verse of our love song. Enjoy this trip down memory lane!
Tray and I dated for almost exactly 20 months (one day shy) before we got engaged. I actually knew pretty early on, well I think we both did, that he was THE ONE! I don't remember the exact moment but I know there was one time where I was heading back to school and Pat Green's "Three Days" came on the radio and I just started crying because I missed him already! We started dating in June 2004 and at the time I was living in San Marcos but soon moved back to Austin. He was in Nacogdoches. That first year we would travel back and forth the 4 hours between Austin and Nacogdoches and I have very fond memories of that drive and being so excited to get there or for him to get to Austin! Not to mention that East Texas and Nacogdoches are beautiful with all the trees!
Once Tray graduated in May 2005, he moved back home with his parents and started teaching and coaching at Barbers Hill while I was still in my last year of school. That cut our drive between each other to 3 hrs. and by that point I think we were seeing each other almost every weekend! It helped that we only lived 15 minutes away from each other back home so anytime I would go home, he was there too!
At some point while we were dating we started talking about the future and getting married. Tray knew exactly what I wanted as far as proposal and ring and would always tease me about it. I distinctly remember 2 times where he was teasing me (or so I thought!) and it never hit me that the proposal was so close! One time we were talking about the ring and he pretty much told me exactly what size it was! I have a weird thing with numbers, as in I like things to end in 1, 3, 6, or 9. (weird, I know!) So, I always told Tray that my ring would have to be one of those carats (joking of course!). Well, we were talking about it and he said, "Well what if it's only .97?" Technically that's considered 1 carat so I told him that was alright and what do you know, that's what my ring is! Another time I was leaving my parents house and Tray was there and when we were saying bye to each other he wasn't leaving at the same time (like he normally did.) When he gave me a hug he said, "Now hurry up and leave. I need to talk to your Dad." I think I said something along the lines of "Shut up you're joking" but come to find out that's when he asked for my hand in marriage!
The big day was February 11, 2006. Tray had gone to visit me in Austin for Valentine's Day and we had made reservations at Eddie V's for a fancy dinner. Tray got there on Friday after school and everything was normal. Saturday rolls around and we had planned a picnic lunch at Mt. Bonnell and then dinner that night. Looking back I don't know why I didn't suspect anything but I really had no clue! Now there's 2 funny stories about this day. One, we were joking around in the kitchen that morning and up to this point Tray had been teasing me again and saying things like "What if I have your ring with me." He had said it a couple of times so I finally said "Well then, give it to me!" I probably sounded so bratty, but it was all in joking and I really had no clue whatsoever! Secondly, we get outside to leave and what do you know, Tray's truck had been towed! Our apartments had recently started towing non-residents if they were in the wrong spot and unfortunately, that was Tray. Luckily he had the ring with him so we just waited until after our picnic to go get his truck. I wanted to go then, but Tray had a plan I didn't know about.
totally clueless on Mount BonnellSo we get up to Mt. Bonnell and it also happens to be FREEZING that day! I'm talking high 40s, super windy and we were on top of a hill. So we take some pictures, me still being clueless and then eat our lunch on a rock. Then it's time. Tray tells me he has another gift for me, I'm still clueless and he pulls out a little heart box. I know he said "You know how much I love you right?" and then I don't remember much after that because I saw the ring and he was down on one knee! Of course I said "YES!" We hugged, I admired and then he asked if I was going to call my mom. Of course I call and tell my mom and start crying and it sounded like my mom started crying too. Only she wasn't crying, she was walking up the hill at that point with the rest of our families! I turn around and see them all walking up and it was just perfect! Tray knew that I wanted our families there, but I wanted the proposal to be private. He couldn't have done a better job or been any sweeter and that's why I love him!
right after the proposal!
the saunders family-niece Morgan, mom, dad, niece ashlyn, sister sha
the campos family-dad, mom, sister marilu (missing other sister andrea)

tray and future mrs. saunders before dinner at eddie v's
All in all it was a wonderful day that I will never forget! After dinner we went to the book store and Tray bought me my first wedding magazine and the madness began! It was sooo hard to say goodbye to Tray the next day, but I was still the happiest girl in the world!
1 comment:
Ahhh, mama, you made me cry. I am so happy you found true love with Tray.
Post a Comment