background

Monday, July 23, 2012

Dogs, Pool Time and Fun!

We had a busy and fun weekend!  We kicked it off on Friday with a visit to the Reliant Park World Series of Dog Shows.  We've been twice before but didn't go last year because Emma was only 3 months and nursing non-stop!  I was so excited to take her this year and I hope to make it a family tradition.

It had the potential for disaster because Emma had only napped for 20 minutes that day, but that's where her new love of Cheerios came in and kept her happy.  She got fussy a couple of times, but nothing too major.  By the end though she was clearly exhausted and starting to melt down.  She's our little trooper!

They have lots of booths (both dog and human stuff), an agility arena, show arenas, an art exhibit and the grooming/waiting area.  They also have a "Meet the Breed" area that was Emma's favorite.



We got there in time to see the Bloodhounds and Basset Hounds show.  This big guy on the right was named Hank and Emma had fun playing with him while he was waiting his turn to show.  He was so cute because he knew to roll over around kids so they could rub his belly.  He gave Emma a couple smooches too!  Tray wants a Bloodhound so bad, but we don't have the room or time (or sanity!) to commit to a dog like that.  I definitely want a big dog at some point.  Maybe one day when we move and have a much bigger yard.


We didn't get any pictures of the Bassets this year.  There were only 2 showing on this day.


Emma had a great time watching them and clapping for them.  It was so funny because while we were walking around she would start clapping any time she heard the crowd clapping!


We walked around the booths and just had to stop at the Basset Hound rescue to play with their hounds.  We didn't take any pictures because we were all too busy playing! 
 I also loved the German Shepherd rescue.  I love German Shepherds and that's my vote for whenever we get a big dog.

One of our favorite parts is walking through the grooming area.  I didn't take many pictures, but it's CRAZY the way these dogs are trained!  It's not unusual to see dogs sitting all by themselves on a table with a collar/leash type thing around their neck, just waiting to be groomed.  I also couldn't believe how some of the dogs stood on 4 tiny little pegs so their legs could be groomed.  I wish I would have taken a picture of that!

You also see dogs like this guy, just chillin' and waiting their turn.  He was so cute!  My first dog love is Bulldogs and I think they're hands down the cutest puppies!



Emma had a staring contest with this dude.


Our new favorite this year was the Meet the Breed area.  Every hour they have different breeds and you can go and talk to people about them.  In our case, we just wanted to pet and love on them!

This dog was just relaxing on the table and letting everyone pet him.


This guy was still a puppy.  I have no idea what kind of dog he was but he was super cute!


Someone got smooches from him too!


This is my favorite picture from the day.  This is a Bernese Mountain Dog and I think they're faces are so cute!  He just stood there letting Emma pet him.  I love the way her hand looks and if you look close you can  tell she's smiling.  Or saying "dog", which we heard about a million times that day!


This Doberman was so pretty.  I love the brown ones.


If we ever get a small dog I want one of these.


Just look at that adorable face!



We had a great time and I look forward to going back every year.  You can take your own dog, but we joke that ours wouldn't even make it inside the building without howling up a storm and choking themselves!  It always makes me hug our dogs a little tighter and to be thankful that Emma will know the love of dogs, even though they get on my last nerve most of the time!

Saturday we headed down to Lake Jackson for some sister time and fun in the sun!  Believe it or not, this was only Emma's second time ever in the pool!  We never made it swimming in Austin and just haven't taken her to our neighborhood pool.  That'll change though because she loved it!  Her face may not say it in most of the pictures, but she loved kicking her feet, playing with the ball and plain chillin'!


Someone else took a quick dip too!




My oldest sister, Marilu.


She lasted about 30 minutes before the need for a nap started to get the best of her.




On Sunday afternoon Emma and I headed to a friend's birthday party.  I didn't take any pictures because again, she was in need of a nap and wasn't the happiest.  She did enjoy a sno cone and chocolate cupcake though!  We ended the weekend with a quick visit from Nanis and Pipa.  Emma had to show them her new trick.  If I can figure out how to post video I will.  She had me crying from laughing so hard and you just have to see it!

I think the 3 days of inconsistent naps finally caught up to her and she was up 3 times last night.  She's always been that child that sleeps the best when she sleeps the most.  Does that make sense?  When she gets over tired and delirious, she wakes up more and sleeps terrible and no one has fun.  I hope that's all it is, but I think some teeth have been bothering her, even though I don't see or feel anything.  She's been that way for a while now and she's been chewing on her fingers.  We're going to take it easy this week.  Tray had to go back to work this week, so we're definitely missing Daddy today!

1 comment:

Emily Powell said...

Georgia sleeps the same way. If she naps well then she sleeps longer in the morning and when she sleeps longer in the morning she takes a better nap and so on. But, it is just the reverse too. Oh, the joys of babies!